Sunday, August 27, 2017

Kadalai Paruppu Chutney - Gram Dhal Chutney

Kadalai Paruppu Chutney - Gram Dhal Chutney - Idli/Dosai sidedish

Kadalai paruppu chutney - takes my memories to my grandparents place where they used to make it in large quantity as this is budget friendly. I forgot this chutney after my grand parents shifted to Chennai and I did not have any native place to go. 
After many years, I had this chutney once in my aunt's place (her name is Kala, she passed away couple of weeks back due to illness). While having this chutney, I could feel a trace of the childhood days in my native place. Here, I would like to thank my auntie for preserving the recipe which carries nostalgic memories. Even though she is not with us now, she will always remain in our thoughts and heart. I learnt many recipes from her too. Love you and miss you Kala auntie.
Idli with kadalai paruppu chutney is good for packing for lunch too. This chutney is simple with few ingredients. Let's see how it is made..

For more sidedish/chutney recipe click  - Sidedish / chutney

Kadalai paruppu chutney




Ingredients:

  • Kadalai paruppu (gram dhal) - 2 tablespoons
  • Coconut pieces - 4 tablespoons
  • Tamarind - one gooseberry size
  • Dry red chillies - 4
  • Ginger - 1/2 inch
  • Rock salt - as required
  • Asafoetida
  • Tempering kuzhambu vadagam - 1 teaspoon
  • Oil - 3 teaspoons
  • Water - few tablespoons




Procedure:

  • Heat 2 spoons of oil in a pan. Roast the kadalai paruppu (gram dhal), ginger, red chillies and tamarind. 
  • When the kadalai pruppu turns beautiful red colour, remove from heat and cool them.
  • Now, transfer them to a mixer jar along with the coconut, salt and asafoetida. Add little water and grind. Let the chutney be coarse and not too fine. 
  • Once ready, temper it with the kuzhambu vadagam. You can also temper with mustard, urad dhal and curry leaves.
  • Yummy kadalai paruppu chutney is ready.
Serve with hot idlies or dosai. 

Happy cooking !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like. . .

One of my favourite. . .

Maravalli Kizhangu - Tapioca Tuber Stir Fry

மரவள்ளிக்கிழங்கு or Aalvalli Kizhangu Poriyal This is my yet another childhood time pass food item. even though my mother never ...

Check out some more Delicacies. . .

Snacks