Beans-carrot Poriyal / Green Beans and Carrot Stir Fry
Beans-carrot poriyal is a very common side dish for meals in any south Indian home. excellent side dish for sambar or rasam or curd rice.
if you ask me, i can eat it like an 11 o clock snack 😋. i always had the habit of eating such veg stir fries as snack. as usual my mother used to yell at me 😈.
this is such a easy, elegant and healthy dish. but you cannot make this through out the year. sometimes the green beans prices hit the peak when it is Rs. 100 per kg or even more.
when i was a kid the common green beans which were available were sort of flat and long. but that variety is now gone and those which are available are cylindrical beans. i found those flat green beans were tastier.
today i made drumstick sambar and hence i decided to make this poriyal for side. let me show you how i make this simple colourful poriyal. talking about colourful.. this has the three colours of our national flag - green, orange (saffron) and white from coconut. 😀.
- Green beans - 250 grams
- Carrot - 250 grams
- green chillies - 3 (slit)
- turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- coconut grating - 3 tablespoons
- salt as per taste
- coconut oil - 2 teaspoon
- curry leaves - 1 sprig
- coriander leaves for garnish
- Tempering ingredients: mustard seeds, urad dhal, asafoetida and oil.
- heat few teaspoons of oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients.
- let it splutter, then add the slit green chillies and finely chopped carrot and green beans.
- add salt, turmeric powder and stir.
- sprinkle some water and cover it.
- cook for 15 minutes.
- open the pan and let the water dry up.
- once water is fully gone, add the coconut gratings, curry leaves and stir again.
- finally finish it up with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and coriander leaves.
- the green beans-carrot poriyal with awesome coconut oil flavour is ready.
Happy cooking !!