Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Carrot Halwa

Carrot Halwa - Sunshine Dessert

This carrot halwa recipe comes from my ammamma, via my mom. My ammamma is a quick cook. She cooks effortlessly and her recipes are very simple with minimum ingredients. She had a passion for cooking. She never measures her ingredients.. its all eyeball measurement. This is one such quick recipe, except for the grating part. This halwa looks as good as it tastes. Glossy.. that carotene colour.. cashews peeking here and there.. feast for our eyes! This is one of my daughter's favourite dessert.. Sunshine dessert for my little Miss. Sunshine...

For more Sweets/Desserts click here - Sweets

Carrot Halwa




Ingredients:

  • Carrot (grated) - 3 cups
  • Sugar - 1 cup
  • Cardamom - 3 pods powdered
  • cashew nuts - for garnish
  • cantaloupe seeds (kirini vidhai) - for garnish and texture
  • Ghee - 3 tablespoons

Procedure:

  • Wash and peel the carrots. Grate the carrots. 
  • Heat 1 spoon of ghee in a pan, roast the cashews and keep aside.
  • Add some more ghee and roast the grated carrots. Keep the stove in medium heat.
  • Roast them till they are well sauteed and reduce in volume. This takes approximately 10 minutes.
  • Now add the sugar and stir well. After you add sugar the mixture will loosen.
  • Keep stirring for 10 more minutes. 
  • Add ghee at intervals. 
  • Add the cardamom powder. By now the halwa must have attained a glossy finish.
  • The halwa is almost ready. Now add the cashews and cantaloupe seeds to finish it up. Cantaloupe seeds are optional but I love the way it gets bitten along with cashews and halwa. So, I add them.
  • Carrot halwa is ready to be served.









This carrot halwa makes your beloved ones' birthdays or anniversaries more special !



Happy cooking !!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy yummy!!. My granny used to boil milk and add carrot to it. But, I think your method has more stability and shelf life. Lalitha.

    ReplyDelete

You may also like. . .

One of my favourite. . .

Maravalli Kizhangu - Tapioca Tuber Stir Fry

மரவள்ளிக்கிழங்கு or Aalvalli Kizhangu Poriyal This is my yet another childhood time pass food item. even though my mother never ...

Check out some more Delicacies. . .

Snacks