Monday, October 23, 2017

Filter Coffee - Love for "Filter Kaapi"..

Filter coffee - "Filter Kaapi"



Filter coffee -  I feel so freshened up as I say those two words. Any coffee fans will accept with me. When I make the filter coffee decoction as the first thing in the morning, the aroma of the coffee decoction is so tempting, that it becomes so hard for me to wait for another 15 minutes to make the coffee. I won't be able to wait till all the decoction drains. 


Is it not a blissful moment when you experience the aroma of fresh filter coffee decoction? I can say that forgetting yourself in the aroma of the fresh filter coffee can be added as the 113th Tantric Technique for enlightenment. Totally selfless moment!

Being a home maker, if there is one good thing you can be happy about waking at 5 am in the morning, then it is having a fresh filter coffee - degree coffee. The thought that I am going to have a degree coffee next morning lets me to sleep peacefully that night and can excuse the alarm at 5 am next morning.

"Manaiviya romba nesikkiravanga.. yeppadi coffee poda theriyaadhu nu solluvaanga?"
Being a coffee addict, for me, "happiness" is - someone serving me a cup of nice coffee. Nothing more than that. Because, as a homemaker, it is we who always serve coffee to others. Even if it is a long tiresome day.. or a head ache, we have to make our own coffee. Wonder in how many homes the husband offers coffee to their wife like in one of those coffee ads. Before marriage it used to be our mother who brings coffee to our place. I believe, after marriage, it is one of the very few good friends who serve us good coffee once in a while when we visit them. To enter a man's heart is through his stomach, but did any man think about the way to reach a wife's heart? now I say.. one cup of GOOD coffee will take you to her heart (instant coffee also will do). "Manaiviya romba nesikkiravanga.. yeppadi coffee poda theriyaadhu nu solluvaanga?"

I never settle with one brand of filter coffee powder. I keep changing frequently. I love to taste different types of coffee brands for their different flavours and their different ratios of coffee and chicory. I always try to stick with more coffee and less chicory ratio. Sometimes pure coffee too. But 85:15 has always been my preferable ratio for coffee and chicory.

First coffee of the first dicoction is the degree coffee. I always make only one decoction. Never take 2nd decoction as it will be diluted. It's all ones own preference. Even if I drink half a cup of coffee, I want it to be a perfect strong coffee.

I have tried most of the coffee powders in market. Leo, Coffee day, Narasus's, Green label and I have even tried coffee beans and powdered at home. Now it's Cothas. I am liking it now. May be after few weeks.. I might change.


All you need..
First of all.. you need a coffee filter - the special utensil used to make coffee decoction. Second of all, you need a good coffee powder. And main of all.. you need your craving and love for filter coffee which will make a very good coffee.. blend of decoction, sugar and hot milk.. special coffee.. especially for yourself.. made by you.. as perfectly as you want it to be! Take the coffee close to your nose.. close your eyes.. feel the excellent fresh coffee aroma.. first let your olfactory senses feel it.. then let your taste buds feast it.. HEAVEN!

Okay friends.. let me show you how to make filter coffee the way I like :)

Ingredients

For the decoction:
  • Filter coffee powder - 6 + 1 teaspoon
  • Water - 150 ml
  • Sugar 1/2 teaspoon
For the coffee:
  • Milk - 1 cup
  • Sugar - 1 teaspoon

Procedure:

To make decoction:
  • Keep the water on stove, add half teaspoon of coffee powder to this and let it to boil. (Fig. 1)
  • In the mean while, add half spoon of sugar to the upper compartment of the coffee filter. (Fig. 2)(I, somewhere heard that, this sugar will stop the quick draining of the coffee-water from the upper container to the lower compartment. The water from the upper compartment should stand there for some time for better brewing.)
  • Add the coffee powder. Place the metal plate with stick like holder on the coffee powder and gently press make the coffee powder even.
  • Make sure that the bottom compartment is placed in its place.
  • Once the water starts to boil, slowly transfer the hot boiling water to the upper compartment of the coffee filter. (Fig. 3)
  • Close the coffee filter with the lid and leave it undisturbed for 15 minutes. 
  • The decoction gets collected in the lower compartment. 
  • Thus the decoction is ready to be made to aromatic filter coffee.

Fig. 1

Fig 2



Fig. 3






To make coffee:
  • Boil the milk. 
  • Take a small tumbler and add sugar. 
  • Transfer 1 tablespoon of the freshly brewed decoction to the tumbler.
  • Pour the hot milk to this decocotion till you get the required strength and colour of coffee. Mix well and enjoy the awesome aromatic fresh coffee.
Coffee with palm jaggery syrup: 
  • Take 1 tablespoon of coffee decoction in a cup. 
  • Add hot boiling milk to this. Mix just twice.
  • Then add 1 teaspoon of palm jaggery syrup to this and mix well. 
  • Consume hot.

This palm jaggery syrup takes the coffee to another level. I feel that the palm jaggery syrup compliments the coffee flavour better than white sugar. 

NEVER add the syrup to very hot milk. Always add the syrup in the end as the there might be salt in the jaggery and this might curdle the very hot milk. Never heat the tea or coffee (with milk) after adding the syrup. It will cause curdling of the milk in the beverage.



Filter coffee in a cup.. still tastes good.. but the feel of drinking the filter coffee in a tumber and dabara, holding the hot tumbler.. is incomparable.

Dedicated to some of my friends who are filter coffee lovers!

Happy cooking !! 

3 comments:

  1. I always emailed this weblog post page to all my friends, for the reason that if like to read
    it then my friends will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you kind words. I too enjoy sharing my thoughts with all.

      Delete
  2. Here you will learn what is important, it gives you a link to an interesting web page:
    best grind and brew coffee maker

    ReplyDelete

You may also like. . .

One of my favourite. . .

Maravalli Kizhangu - Tapioca Tuber Stir Fry

மரவள்ளிக்கிழங்கு or Aalvalli Kizhangu Poriyal This is my yet another childhood time pass food item. even though my mother never ...

Check out some more Delicacies. . .

Snacks