Paruppu Keerai Kootu
Paruppu keerai kootu is another simple dish with dhal and paruppu keerai. It is made in the same way as other keerai kootu.
I always keep this kootu varieties very simple and one pot dish. Put everything in the small cooker, cook it and temper in the end.
I do not prefer to add more dhal, as, i feel that too much of dhal will over power the greens flavour and colour.
Do not pressure cook the ingredients too long. it is yellow moong dhal adn greens.. it cooks in no time.
I always choose to make kootu varieties with greens/keerai, because if I make kootu the quantity yielded is little, hence we can finish off the kootu for lunch itself and no left over for dinner. It is generally not advisable to consume greens / keerai for dinner or even after 4 pm.
Here is the recipe for the simple paruppu keerai kootu.
- paruppu keerai - 1 bunch
- paitham paruppu / yellow moong dhal - 2 tablespoon
- green chillies - 1
- onion - 1 small (sambar onions are better)
- tomato - 1 small
- garlic - 3 cloves
- turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- salt as required
ingredients for tempering:
- oil - 1 tablespoon
- mustard - 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- fenugreek seeds - 1/4 teapoon
- broken urad dhal - 1/2 teaspoon
- dry red chillies - 3 nos.
- asafoetida - 2 pinch
- currry leaves - optional
- clean and wash the paruppu keerai and keep ready.
- wash the yellow moong dhal and soak for 10 minutes in the small cooker.
- then add chopped onion, tomatoes, garlic, green chillies and washed paruppu keerai.
- add 3/4 cup of water and pressure cook this with weight for 5 minutes.
- once cooked, add salt and mash the kootu a little with the ladle.
- heat oil in a small pan and add the tempering ingredients. transfer this to the kootu.
- the simple, healthy and tasty paruppu keerai kootu/dhal is ready to be served along with rice or roti.
You can make this in any sauce pan instead of a cooker. First cook the dhal with onion, tomato, green chillies and garlic. Once these are cooked, add the greens. Once greens are also cooked, mash it and do the tempering.
This kootu complements the spicy kara kuzhambu varieties and rice. You can have it just as a nutritional supplement.
Happy cooking !!