மசாலா சுண்டல் - ரோட்டுக்கடை / கடற்கரை கடை சுவை
This masala sundal is the kaiyendhi bhavan (கையேந்தி பவன்) version or lighter version of the masala poori chat in big shops. its light and easy on spices and oil. the portion is appropriate for one person.
today i made this in home. still the nation is in corona lock down. even though we cannot go out to have this.. we can bring this sweet heart home!
it is very easy to make too. since i did not have any papdies or omam podi or sweet chutney to drizzle on top.. i used just onions and coriander to garnish and complete. and it tasted perfect and fresh! taste wise it was same or better than the roadside shops.. but the feeling it gives when you stand in the beach sand and eat it or stand on the pavement and eat it... is totally missing. its not the location.. its the emotion!
- dry peas - 1 cup
- onion - 1 medium
- tomato 1 medium
- ginger and garlic - as required
- green chillies - 3
- chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- garam masala 1/2 teaspoon
- sambar powder - 1 teaspoon
- turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- salt as required
- coriander and chopped onions for garnish
- soak the dry peas at least 8 hours a cook it with salt till soft (not mushy).
- take a blender and add the chopped onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, green chillies. grind to a paste.
- heat some oil in a kadai and add this paste to it.
- saute for 2 minutes. add the dry spice powders.
- saute till oil separates.
- add the water drained from the peas and add more water if required. (see to that the amount of water you add should be in an quantity that eve after the content boils for 10mins on high heat, it should be in correct thickness.)
- remember not to add more salt as you have already added salt in the peas.
- let this boil for 10 minutes on high heat. do not cover the pan. let the masala in it loose its raw smell.
- then add the cooked peas and let it boil for 2 more minutes.
- switch off the stove.
- masala sundal is ready.
- transfer generous amount of the masala peas on a serving plate.. garnish with finely chopped onion and coriander leaves and serve hot !!
Happy cooking !