Kesar Peda - made with Khoya
I got this recipe from a cook book. I tried this kesar peda. It is made with khoya which I bought from shop. We can use khoya made at home too. These pedas tasted awesome and has this great saffron and cardamom flavour in it. I always wonder how beautifully this saffron and cardamom compliments each other. I loved the colour too. These pedas were like milk fudges. Not very grainy. Little smooth and very slightly chewy. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Myself and my daughter used to take one peda and nibble it for almost 20 minutes.
Okay.. Let us go to the recipe of this peda.
- Khoya (unsweetened) - 200 grams
- Condensed milk - 3 tablespoon
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 3 tablespoon
- Cardamom - 3 pods powdered
- Saffron - 1 pinch soaked in 1 tablespoon hot milk
- Finely chopped nuts for garnish
- Soak the saffron in 1 tablespoon of hot milk.
- Keep the cardamom powder and the nuts ready.
- Bring the khoya to room temperature.
- Take the ghee, unsweetened khoya and condensed milk in a not stick pan (preferably).
- Add the sugar and keep stirring continuously.
- Add the saffron milk. Keep stirring. The mixture first becomes little runny.
- Keep the heat in medium low and keep stirring continuously till the mixture thickens.
- Add the cardamom powder and keep mixing.
- At one point the ghee starts to ooze out and the mixture starts to leave the pan and come together like a ball.
- Now the mixture will have a nice light saffron colour with beautiful aroma of saffron and cardamom.
- Let it cool and come to room temperature.
- Take a small portion of the mixture and make balls. Press gently to flatten the pedas. Garnish with finely chopped nuts.
- You can also use the peda-moulds to shape pedas.
This is a simple and easy sweet dish which can be made during any day to make it special.
Happy cooking !!