My moms lemon tree was happy and so were we. as a result we had surplus lemons at home. as we were wondering what to do with the lemons, my mom shared with her friends, i shared few with my friends, made pickle for my mom, made lemon juice, lemon rice, again lemon juice, again lemon rice, again sharing, again lemon juice.. again and again..
Then i remembered this lemon rasam. even though it calls for very little lemon juice, it gave me an immense satisfaction to make this lemon rice with garden fresh lemon as i make rasam mostly with tamarind and tomato only.
This lemon rasam has this beautiful lemony flavourful sourness to it.. it is so refreshing.
Lets quickly jump to the lemon rasam.
- lemon - 1
- rasam powder - 1 and 1/2 teaspoon (recipe for Rasam powder)
- salt - as required
- dhal (cooked) - 2 tablespoon
- garlic - 4 cloves
- turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- coriander leaves
Ingredients for tempering:
- dry red chillies - 3
- curry leaves - 1 sprig
- mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- asafoetida - 1 pinch
- oil / ghee
- add 3 cups of water to dhal and dilute it.
- add the turmeric powder, salt, crushed garlic and keep it ready.
- take a small tempering pan and add oil to it.
- do the tempering with the tempering ingredients and transfer this to the dhall water.
- keep this on stove and add the rasam powder and coriander leaves.
- let this to reach boiling. It will start frothing.
- now add the lemon juice of one lemon.
- switch off the stove. Cover it. Open it only when you are ready to eat.
Yummy !! lemony lemon rasam is ready. Sometimes we make only lemon rasam and hot white rice with some nice curry or stir fries as meal.
Enjoy the hot and spicy lemon rasam to the fullest.
Happy cooking !!