White Veg Biryani - Pleasant for the eyes and tastebuds
This white veg biryani i got it from a food magazine. i am generally not much interested in veg biryani. if the side is potato chips, then iam okay with veg biryani. but this white biryani was with a little twist.. coconut milk is one of the ingredient !
any rice or biryani or birinji made with coconut milk.. i always have a crush for it. in this recipe, the water is not totally replaced with coconut milk, but just little will do.
as always, i add more vegetables. all finely chopped. beautiful red and green vegetables in white pearly rice.
in this veg biryani, i add saunf.. which gives this awesome mild flavour to this biryani which makes you go for another serving.
Let's make it veggiee....
- basmathi rice - 2 cups
- green beans, carrot, potato and peas - together - 1 and 1/2 cup
- ginger - 1 piece
- garlic - 5 cloves
- green chillies - 4
- mint - 1 cup pressed
- onion - 1 large
- tomato - 1 small
- cinnamon - 2
- cloves - 4
- cardamom - 3
- bay leaves - 3
- saunf - 1 teaspoon
- coconut milk - 1 cup
- oil - 3 tablespoons
- salt - as required
- wash and soak the basmathi rice.
- cut the beans and carrot into small pieces. cut the potato into small cubes.
- cut and keep the onion and tomato ready.
- take the ginger, garlic, green chillies and saunf in a blender and grind it coarsely.
- heat the oil in the pressure cooker.
- add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and bay leaves.
- add the ginger-garlic-green chilli-saunf paste to the oil.
- add the onion and saute. followed by tomato.
- then add the mint. saute well.
- add the cut vegetables and mix well. saute for another 10 minutes.
- then, add the rice and stir.
- then add the 1 cup coconut milk and 3 cups of water.
- add salt.
- let it come to boil. give a final stir, check salt and cover the pressure cooker.
- let the pressure come. DO NOT add the pressure weight. reduce the heat to low and leave it for 10 minutes.
- after 10 minutes turn off the stove. let the pressure reduce. open the cooker and stir gently.
- awesome flavourful white veg birinji is ready.
serve it with some nice paneer masala gravy as side or even a simple onion raitha will be great.
Happy cooking !!