Friday, June 22, 2018

Simple Tomato & Onion Chutney

Simple Tomato & Onion Chutney - For Idli/Dosa/Poori/Chapathi


This is one of my childhood favourite side dish which my mom used to make for poori or chapathi. Sometimes my mother makes it in a gravy consistency to go with idli/dosai/paniyaram and more watery to go with venn pongal. In my home we call this as "thakkali chutney".
This recipe calls for very few basic ingredients from our kitchen. Onion & tomato is enough. This is a good dish to pack up during travelling or picnics as this wont get spoiled early. We have to just make sure that the onion is sauteed well when you make it for picnic.

Today I made this thakkali chutney for poori. It kindles nostalgic memories for both me and my husband. Because during our childhood, they used to make this onion & tomato chutney more frequently and poori-potato masala is for special occasions. 

When I make this chutney, I see to that the onion doesn't become over cooked and unidentifiable. I leave it little firm in shape. I add equal amount or little more tomatoes since I like it to be tangy. And little sugar completes it - sweet and tangy tomato & onion chutney.

Recipes links for other - Side dishes


Ingredients:

  • Onion - 3 big
  • Tomato - 3 big
  • chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
  • coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
  • turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • salt - to taste
  • garlic - 3 cloves
  • mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • urad dhal - 1 teaspoon
  • asafoetida - 2 pinches
  • curry leaves - 1 sprig
  • sugar - 1 teaspoon
  • oil - to saute

Procedure:

  • wash and chop the onions and tomatoes. keep them ready.
  • heat some oil in a kadaai and add the mustard seeds, urad dhal, asafoetida, curry leaves and crushed garlic to it.
  • then add the onion and add little salt. saute this for some time till the onion turns transparent
  • then add the tomato. continue sauteing. 
  • add the turmeric powder, salt, sugar, chilli powder and coriander powder and stir well. 
  • add one cup of water and let it come to boil.
  • leave it to come to your required consistency of the chutney. once it has become thick enough, remove it from stove and transfer it to serving dish. 

The tangy and spicy yet with subtle sweetness Tomato & Onion Chutney is ready for your favourite breakfast.. poori/chapathi/idli/dosai etc.

Happy cooking !!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like. . .

One of my favourite. . .

Maravalli Kizhangu - Tapioca Tuber Stir Fry

மரவள்ளிக்கிழங்கு or Aalvalli Kizhangu Poriyal This is my yet another childhood time pass food item. even though my mother never ...

Check out some more Delicacies. . .

Snacks