Monday, October 30, 2017

Onion Chutney for Idli / Dosai

Onion Chutney - "Kattupadi Aavaadha Chutney" for Idli / Dosai


This onion chutney is one of my favourite chutney. My mother used to make this chutney. Then we used to call it as vengayam chutney. But now we call it as "kattupadi aavaadha chutney". Yes.. you read it right.. its "kattupadi aavaadha chutney". Please allow me to tell the story behind this name.
After marriage, being an amateur cook, I once wanted to make some new chutney and tried impress my in laws. So I decide to make this chutney which was my favourite and hoped that they too would like it. I used 5 to 6 onions. The output was 1 cup of chutney. My mil was taken aback and not happy to see that little quantity of chutney. She was wondering how little chutney I made with 5 to 6 onions and gave a comment "indha chutney yellam namakku kattupadi aavadhu". ЁЯШВЁЯШЕЁЯШБ. Hence the name "kattupadi aavadha chutney".

You can check out my mil's version of chutney with the same ingredients, here - Raw Onion or Vengayam Kara Chutney.

For more - Side Dish / Chutney


Let us quickly jump to my recipe of the simple and tasty onion chutney.

Ingredients:

  • Onions - 5 medium
  • Dry Red chillies - 4
  • Tamarind - one small gooseberry size
  • Salt - to taste
  • Oil - 1 tablespoon

Procedure:

  • Heat the oil in a pan.
  • Add the dry red chillies and chopped onions to the hot oil.
  • Saute this till the onions turn transparent.
  • Remove from heat and cool.
  • Transfer this to the mixer along with tamarind and salt.
  • Grind this to fine paste. You will not require water to grind.
  • The tasty onion chutney is ready.





This awesome chutney can be served with hot Idli or Dosa. It tastes good with chapathi and poori too. Try it and tell me how you liked it.

Happy cooking !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like. . .

One of my favourite. . .

Maravalli Kizhangu - Tapioca Tuber Stir Fry

рооро░ро╡ро│்ро│ிроХ்роХிро┤роЩ்роХு or Aalvalli Kizhangu Poriyal This is my yet another childhood time pass food item. even though my mother never ...

Check out some more Delicacies. . .

Snacks