Veg Momos - for so long, I've been thinking its from China!
For so long, i have been thinking that veg momos are from China. but i am surprised to know that they are South Asian, and native of Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan and few north eastern states of India.
It is such a simple food. but takes time to assemble and wrap the momos. and how much ever you make, it gets over in time less than the time it takes to make it.
The use of all purpose flour is the little guilty part in this recipe.. other wise its fun to eat.
My little princess has been asking me to make this veg momo for a long time. so decided to make it on the day of her last exam. she helped me in cutting the vegetables. i used to vegetable chopper to cut the vegetables finer.
- vegetables - cabbage, carrot, spring onion and capsicum
- green chillies - 1
- garlic - 3 cloves
- pepper powder
- soy sauce
- green and red chilli sauce
- oil few spoons
- take the all purpose flour, add a pinch of salt, couple of spoons of oil and enough water and knead a tight dough. cover it and let it rest for 1 hour.
- for the stuffing, cut all the vegetables finely and keep ready.
- heat a little oil and add chopped garlic, green chillies, white part of spring onions, followed by carrots and cabbage.
- keep the stove in medium high. in just one minute add the salt, pepper and other sauces.
- keep the stove in high and stir for 30 more seconds.
- remove from fire and let it cool.
- in the mean time the dough should be ready to be rolled and filled with veg stuffing.
- make small balls of the dough of diameter 2 cms.
- roll them thin and keep the stuffing in the centre, bring the edges to towards the centre and wrap it up like "momo".
- once all the momos are ready, steam it like idli in an idli pot or pressure cooker for 15 minutes.
- that's it. veg momos ready to be served hot with its special chutney - recipe given below.
- enjoy the momos with family on a beautiful evening.
Momo chutney recipe:
Blanch few tomatoes and let it cool. take it in a blender, add few red chillies, one or two garlic cloves and salt. blend this to fine puree. chutney is ready to go with hot momos.
Happy cooking !!